I’m now on my third blogging technology. I started with blogger, which was good enough for what it was, but I grew frustrated with its limitations. After buying a Mac, I switched to iWeb, Apple’s website software. This was actually a great tool, and built a good looking site. I abandoned it for three main reasons:
- Lack of software updates makes me question Apple’s loyalty to the software.
- Demise of MobileMe, Apple’s publishing platform. Although iWeb can publish to other web sites, it’s certainly more difficult.
- Inability to post on the road. IWeb stores all of its content in a local disk file. This makes it impossible to post from the web- I need my Mac to post.
My latest blogging platform,this one, is Squarespace. Like iWeb, I can create a fairly good looking site, without hard-coding HTML. If I want to learn more web coding, there are a lot of places where I can customize it in ways beyond what I can do with with the standard clicking and dragging. But best of all, I can post (and update anything about the site) from anywhere:
- From my Mac at home
- From my work laptop when I’m traveling
- From any web browser on any random machine
And my personal favorite,
- From my iPad
In fact, almost all of my posts so far have been from my iPad, including this one. I’ll talk more about my workflow in a future post.